This collection provides a sampling of television news clips from WMAR-TV in Baltimore, Maryland. WMAR-TV was the first television station in Baltimore and the eleventh in the United States. Its first broadcast aired on October 30, 1947.
The complete WMAR-TV News collection consists of over six million feet of 16 mm film and videotape created between 1948 and 1987. The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore in 1984 by Abell Communications, Inc.
While the majority of the WMAR-TV News footage currently exists in analog form only, content indices are available in the collection database. Through the support of The John Ben Snow Foundation, Inc. and the University's Baltimore Renaissance Seed Scholarship Fund, selected footage has been converted into digital format.